Transparent Language Online comes stocked with English courses for learners of all ages—and supporting documents to help you implement them!
Transparent Language Online includes English learning content for speakers of over 30 languages, as well as immersion-based English for Everyone lessons and courses. For educators, some of our English content includes an Instructor Handbook and/or Scope and Sequence to help you implement these courses in your classroom. Read on to see which courses have supporting documents at each level, as well as what other English courses are available!
Beginner English Courses
Intermediate English Courses
Low-Intermediate Conversations in English is a 27-unit immersion course focused on fun and practical spoken exchanges between adult characters living in the United States. Each conversation is supported with suggested vocabulary lessons in the course handbook and online grammar lessons which simultaneously summarize the conversation and tie in with the grammar and vocabulary focus for the unit.
Advanced English Courses
Advanced Conversations in English is an immersion course designed for high school students and professionals to explore business and medical topics with more complex texts, speech patterns, and cultural nuances. These courses can be used in the classroom or for independent study. Learners wishing to take the Advanced Conversations courses should have a working proficiency in English and have some relevant experience with business topics and concepts.
- Medical Conversations - Instructor Handbook
- Finance Conversations - Instructor Handbook
- Sales and Marketing Conversations - Instructor Handbook
Other English content* in Transparent Language Online includes:
- KidSpeak (not available with all subscriptions): Kidspeak is the ideal first step to learning a language as a young child with limited or no reading and writing skills in any language. It’s an engaging immersion style product that uses animation combined with over 40 interactive activities to help learn the alphabet and simple words and phrases suitable for their age and interests. 3 levels of difficulty are included. KidSpeak is ideal for learners in grades K-2.
- Alphabet course: A quick and easy way to learn a new writing system. Learn the shapes, names, and pronunciation of the letters through a series of engaging activities.
- Essentials course: If you have plans to visit a foreign country, complete this course before you go to quickly master a set of commonly used words and phrases. The course covers topics such as eating out, basic banking, directions and transportation across 33 lessons, and it contains approximately 500 words and phrases. It can be completed in 20-25 hours.
- Quick Start vocabulary: A brief introduction to the most common and immediately useful words and phrases for beginner adult learners. Explore the ten Quick Start lessons to learn greetings, numbers, days of the week, and more. Each lesson contains approximately 15 words and phrases and takes about 30 minutes to complete.
- General Vocabulary: Designed for beginner and intermediate adult learners, these lessons cover a wide variety of useful words and phrases. Explore topics such as asking for directions, basic banking, eating at a restaurant, and so on. Each lesson contains approximately 15 words and phrases and takes about 30 minutes to complete.
- Business Vocabulary: Intended for intermediate and advanced adult learners, these lessons cover general business topics, such as writing letters and emails, answering the phone, and dealing with customer complaints, as well as domain-specific topics, such as marketing and sales, warehousing and transportation of goods, and stock market and investment terms. You will also learn to address others, using the appropriate level of formality for a business setting, ask and answer questions about business-related topics, and use domain-specific terms. Each of the 111 lessons contains about 20 words and takes about 45 minutes to complete.
- Intermediate Conversations in English: Based on a series of natural conversations and designed for young adult learners, this course gives you a chance to practice useful exchanges, learn key vocabulary and practice level-appropriate aspects of English grammar. The course is created around 10 Topics of 5 units each, focusing on various practical aspects of life in the US, such as renting an apartment, buying a car, staying healthy, etc. The course can be completed in approximately 90 hours.
- Advanced Reading Lessons: High-advanced reading lessons based on authentic sources intended for fluent speakers of English who would like to expand their lexicon and grammar knowledge.
- Advanced Listening Lessons: High-advanced listening lessons based on authentic sources intended for fluent speakers of English who would like to expand their lexicon and grammar knowledge.
- American Citizenship test prep course: Created with the input of ESL professionals and public librarians, our American Citizenship Test prep course is designed with the goal of preparing test takers to comfortably answer all 100 civics questions. More than that, the course is intended to truly teach learners about the American government, history, and culture, including key vocabulary words. The course is divided into six topical lessons, covering all the core subjects presented in the American Citizenship Test: Constitution and Branches of Government; Laws and Civic Responsibilities; Colonial American History; 1800s American History; 1900s and Recent American History; Geography and Environment, Symbols, and Holidays.
- English in Context
- Grammar resources
*Note: content may vary by language pair.
You can find all of these courses and lessons mentioned above by navigating to the "Browse" tab in Transparent Language Online.